Quick Lentil Curry
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Total time : 40 minutes
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
|dietary fibre||7 g|
Any variety of dried lentils is handy to have in the pantry: Lentils cook quickly and taste great. Serve this curry over rice with a steamed green vegetable, such as kale. For delicious vegan fare, omit the fried eggs.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, finely minced
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tsp 2tspgrated fresh ginger
- 1 finger-size strip 1 finger-size strip seeded hot red chili peppers or hot green chili peppers
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspgaram masala
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspturmeric
- 1 cup 1cupdried green lentils
- 1 cup 1cuphalved grape tomatogrape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp 1tsplemon juice Eggs:
- 2 tsp 2tspvegetable oil
- 4 4eggeggs
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, hot red chili, garam masala, salt and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add 1/4 cup water; cook, stirring, until thick paste forms, about 2 minutes.
Stir in lentils and 2-1/2 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and almost no liquid remains, 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, cilantro and lemon juice.
Eggs: In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry eggs, turning once, until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lentils.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2012