Quinoa Cakes with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Preparation time: 25 minutes Chill: 1 hour
- Cook time : 35 minutes
- Total time : PT60M
- Portion size: 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||22 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
These delicate cakes may crumble a bit while being formed but will firm up during frying. Alongside a leafy green salad, serve two cakes for lighter appetites or three for hungrier folks.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsquinoa
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsvegetable broth
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupolive oil
- 1/2 1/2oniononions, chopped
- 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 3 cups 3cupstrimmed fresh spinach
- 3 3eggeggs
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgrated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspbaking powder
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspgrated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp 1tbsptoasted sesame seeds or pine nuts or sliced almonds
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce:
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsBalkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupthinly sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchpepper
In fine sieve, rinse quinoa under cold water; drain. In saucepan, bring quinoa, broth and 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Drain in fine sieve; let cool completely in sieve.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add spinach; cook, stirring, until wilted and no liquid remains, about 3 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
Lemon Yogurt Sauce: Stir together yogurt, onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside in refrigerator.
In large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan cheese, flour, baking powder and lemon rind; fold in quinoa and spinach mixture. With wet hands, form into 16 cakes; transfer to waxed paper–lined tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
In nonstick skillet, heat half of the remaining oil over medium-high heat; fry half of the cakes, turning once with 2 spatulas, until golden, about 8 minutes. Keep warm on baking sheet in 200°F (100°C) oven. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes. Serve drizzled with Lemon Yogurt Sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2010