This cake stays flavourful and moist even when baked the night before serving.
- Portion size 9 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2010
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups thinly sliced cored peeled Granny Smith apples (2 or 3)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
MethodCinnamon Streusel: In bowl, stir together flour, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon to form small crumbs; set aside.
Apple Filling: In bowl, toss together apples, sugar and flour; set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In small bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, eggs, butter and vanilla; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Spread half in parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square metal cake pan.
Arrange apples over batter. Pour remaining batter over top, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with streusel.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden and cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 184 mg
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 510.0
- Total fat 21 g
- Potassium 180 mg
- Cholesterol 94 mg
- Saturated fat 13 g
- Total carbohydrate 75 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 43.0
- Calcium 10.0
- Vitamin A 19.0
- Vitamin C 2.0