Delight a mom-to-be with this celebration cake.
- Portion size 24 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2008
MethodFor step-by-step photographed instructions and tips, click here to see our Baby Carriage Cake slideshow.
1. Using measurements in Photo B (bottom image) as guide, cut out carriage from cake (Photo A - top image).
2. Using 2-1/2-inch (6 cm) round cutter, cut out circle from cut-off cake for baby's head (Photo B). Assemble on 14-inch (35 cm) square cake board or tray.
3. Reserve 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) white frosting. Divide remaining frosting among 3 bowls. With paste food colouring, tint 1 bowl green and 1 bowl blue. Stir melted chocolate into remaining bowl.
Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of the white frosting over top and sides of cake to mask and seal in crumbs (Photo C). Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Spread green frosting over top and sides of carriage hood, reserving about 2 tbsp (25 mL) for decorating.
Spread blue frosting over top and sides of carriage bottom.
Using small amount of chocolate frosting, attach snack cakes at base of carriage for wheels. Spread wheels with chocolate frosting, reserving about 2 tbsp (25 mL) for decorating. Chill for about 15 minutes.
4. Use reserved frostings to decorate carriage, wheels and baby.
5. Twist licorice to create carriage handle and undercarriage; attach to cake. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Nutritional facts Per each of 24 servings: about
- Sodium 284 mg
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 471.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 81 mg
- Saturated fat 15 g
- Total carbohydrate 62 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 16.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 20.0