Baklawa, the flowerlike individual Lebanese version of Greek baklava, contains pistachios, rose water and orange blossom water, all available at specialty and Middle Eastern food stores.
- Portion size 40 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2006
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups pistachio nuts shelled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 16 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon rose water
Method1. Syrup: In saucepan, dissolve sugar in water over medium heat. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice, orange blossom water and rose water; let cool.
2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, melt butter over low heat until white milky liquid sinks to bottom. Pour clear melted clarified butter into bowl, leaving milky liquid in pan. Set aside.
3. In food processor, pulse together walnuts, pistachios, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon about 4 times or until in coarse crumbs. In bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold in nut mixture and rose water. Set aside.
4. Grease two 9-inch (1.5 L) round metal cake pans; set aside. Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush with butter; top with second sheet and butter top. Repeat 3 more times to form stack of 8 sheets.
5. Cut phyllo stack into 20 squares. Place heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling in centre of each. Bring up corners of phyllo and gently squeeze sides. Place in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to fill both pans.
6. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until golden and crisp, about 45 minutes. Pour all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the syrup over top. Let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Cover and set aside for up to 24 hours.) Warm reserved syrup; brush over filling and phyllo.
Garnish: Sprinkle filling with chopped pistachios.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 51 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 186.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 9 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 21 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 8.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 2.0