Now that mussels are supermarket-available and virtually pot ready, they make a fuss-free summer supper. The bonus? You can cook the bivalves right on the barbecue.
- Portion size 2 servings
- 1 lb mussel
- 1 splash white vermouth
- 1 splash wine
- 1 splash chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa (optional)
- 1/4 cup prepared smoky barbecue sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup prepared black bean garlic sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup prepared pasta sauce (optional)
Rinse mussels; snip off any beards. Place in the centre of two 20-inch (50 cm) squares of heavy-duty foil. Sprinkle with white vermouth, wine or chicken stock, garlic, onions, and if you want more buzz per mussel, your choice of prepared salsa, smoky barbecue, black bean garlic or pasta sauce.
Wrap foil around mussels, firmly double-folding edges to seal. Place on grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook, turning once, until mussels open, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard any that do not open.