Cooking the shallots until caramelized creates the flavour base, and their subtle sweetness naturally balances out the sharp blue cheese. If you're not a fan of blue, try extra-old Cheddar instead.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2011
- 2 lbs stewing beef cubes trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag (8 oz/225 g) shallots peeled and quartered
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms quartered
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 turnip peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 can whole tomatoes drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 oz/115 g)
- 1 cup crumbled extra-old Cheddar cheese (about 4 oz/115 g)
- 1 cup buttermilk (approx)
MethodSprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat 2 tsp of the oil over medium-high heat; brown beef in batches. Transfer to bowl.
Add remaining oil to pan; cook shallots over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and softened, about 8 minutes.
Stir in mushrooms, carrots, turnip, garlic, thyme and bay leaves; cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add wine, scraping up browned bits. Add broth and tomatoes. Return beef to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1-1/4 hours.
Uncover and cook until thickened and beef is tender, about 20 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves. Scrape into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
Cheese Biscuits: Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until crumbly; stir in blue cheese. Drizzle in buttermilk, stirring, just until soft sticky dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 6 times or just until smooth.
Roll out into 10- x 8-inch (25 x 20 cm) rectangle; cut into 12 biscuits. Arrange over stew; brush biscuits with 1 tbsp more buttermilk.
Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until bubbly and biscuits are golden brown and no longer doughy underneath, about 35 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per each of 10 servings: about
- Sodium 705 mg
- Protein 27 g
- Calories 487.0
- Total fat 27 g
- Potassium 730 mg
- Cholesterol 90 mg
- Saturated fat 13 g
- Total carbohydrate 35 g
- Iron 31.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 39.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 20.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 40.0
- Vitamin C 18.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0