All the ingredients become meltingly tender as they cook together in the oven. This makes a superb side dish for grilled sausage or a big green salad and some crusty bread.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2009
- 3 sweet red peppers
- 3 sweet yellow peppers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 4 cups cooked romano beans
- 2 cups bean cooking liquid or water
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil or chopped parsley
MethodOn baking sheet, broil red and yellow peppers, turning often, until charred and blistered all over, 20 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. Peel, seed and quarter peppers; thinly slice crosswise. Transfer to small roasting pan.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, salt, oregano, pepper and hot pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add to peppers. Stir in beans and bean cooking liquid.
Cover and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 2 hours. Stir in vinegar; bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in basil.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 220 mg
- Protein 9 g
- Calories 218.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 31 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 92.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 18.0
- Vitamin C 233.0