The herbaceous, bright green sauce is the star of this veggie-dense grain salad. You'll want to eat it on everything! Look for whole grain brown rice that's ready in 20 minutes; it's a convenient (and fast) way to incorporate whole grains into everyday dinners.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2013
- 1 cup whole grain 20-minute brown rice (such as Uncle Ben
- 2 zucchinis cut lengthwise in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 eggplant cut lengthwise in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 sweet yellow or sweet red pepper halved
- 1 white onion cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rinced drained caper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Green Sauce: Using immersion blender, purée together parsley, cilantro, mint, oil, capers, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; set aside.
In large saucepan of boiling water, cook rice according to package directions. Drain; transfer to large bowl.
Meanwhile, place zucchini, eggplant, yellow pepper and onion on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool enough to handle.
Coarsely chop vegetables; toss with rice. Sprinkle with feta cheese (if using). Serve with green sauce, adding to taste.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 7 g
- Sodium 422 mg
- Sugars 10 g
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 368.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 786 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 61 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 34.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 20.0
- Vitamin C 108.0