Cheese toasts are a perennial favourite on an hors d'oeuvre tray and make a wonderful snack with beer.
- Portion size 24 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2009
- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 clove garlic pressed or pounded into paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 10 oz aged cheddar cheese shredded (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
MethodOn baking sheet, lightly toast bread in 500°F (260°C) oven, turning halfway through, about 6 minutes.
In large bowl, beat together eggs, cider, garlic, flour, nutmeg and cayenne until smooth; stir in cheese until incorporated. Spread over toasts.
Place toasts on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; sprinkle with paprika. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 8 minutes. Cut each diagonally into 4 triangles.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 123 mg
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 78.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Potassium 43 mg
- Cholesterol 28 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 5 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 4.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 4.0