These foolproof steps take your sponge cake to new heights. Having gelatin in the whipped cream filling means the cake can be made a day ahead.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2008
MethodDon't miss our step-by-step photographed instructions to make this Classic Sponge Cake recipe >>
1. Sponge Cake: Line bottom of 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan with parchment paper; grease side. Set eggs in bowl of warm (100°F/38°C) water for 5 minutes.
2. In electric stand mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until pale yellow and batter falls in ribbons when beaters are lifted, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large wide bowl. Fold in orange rind and vanilla.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt ; sift one-third over egg mixture and fold in. Repeat twice. Transfer one-quarter to another bowl; fold in butter. Fold back into remaining batter. Pour into prepared pan.
4. Bake in centre of 325°F (160°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in centre and side pulls away from pan. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove side of pan; let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Wrap in plastic wrap; store for up to 24 hours.)
In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 5 minutes. Warm over low heat, without stirring, until dissolved. Set aside.
5. In bowl, whip cream with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the icing sugar and orange liqueur until cream mounds softly on spoon. Drizzle in gelatin mixture, beating until it can mound stiffly.
6. Cut cake horizontally in half. Place top layer, cut side up, on cake plate. Spread jam to edge. Spread whipped cream mixture over jam. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Refrigerate until cream is set, about 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Using template if desired, sprinkle with remaining icing sugar.
The secret to effortless baking is properly lining your pans. Watch how to line multiple pan shapes for easy baking and breezy clean-up.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 90 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 292.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Cholesterol 132 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 35 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 17.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 16.0
- Vitamin C 3.0