- Portion size 6 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk heated
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 pkg (7 ounces/200 g each) frozen crabmeat thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 6 softcrusted French rolls
- Tartar sauce (recipe follows)
- Tomato slices
In skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook celery, onion and red pepper until softened and liquid is released, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Pour in hot milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time. Stir in crabmeat, parsley, salt, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in deep-fryer or large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil to 350°F (180°C) or until 1-inch (2.5 cm) cube of white bread turns golden in 1 minute.
Coating: Divide crab mixture into 12 cakes. Coat each in flour, then in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere all over.
Deep-fry cakes, a few at a time, until golden brown and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining crab cakes.
Without cutting all the way through, slice rolls in half horizontally. Scoop out middle part of bread, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border on all sides. Spread tartar sauce on cut sides. Top with tomato slices, shredded lettuce and 2 crab cakes each.