This baked one-pan version of rösti is our secret to feeding a crowd without spending the evening in front of a stove. Start with a clean oven to avoid setting off your smoke alarm, as these squares cook at a high temperature.
- Portion size 60 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2016
Dill-Mustard Cream Cheese:
- one-third pkg (250 g pkg) cream cheese softened
- pinch grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons capers drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill finely chopped
- pinch pepper
- 1 kg russet potato (about 2 large), peeled
- 400 g sweet potatoes (about 1 large), peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 teaspoons each onion powder and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
- 150 g smoked salmon sliced in 60 bite-size strips
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill
MethodRösti: In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook russet potatoes and sweet potato, covered, until slightly tender, about 10 minutes; drain. Let cool enough to handle.
Using coarse side of box grater, grate russet potatoes and sweet potato into large bowl; stir in butter, onion powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg until combined.
Press into bottom of parchment paper–lined 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) rimmed baking sheet. Bake on bottom rack of 450°F (230°C) oven until bottom and top are golden, about 55 minutes. Let cool slightly. (Make-ahead: Let cool completely; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Reheat in 375°F/190°C oven until warmed through, about 10 minutes.) Cut into 60 squares.
Dill-Mustard Cream Cheese: In bowl, beat together cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, capers, dill and pepper until smooth. Spread onto rösti squares.
Topping: Garnish each rösti square with 1 strip of salmon and 1 small sprig of dill.
Nutritional facts per piece: about
- Sodium 113 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 28.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Potassium 79 mg
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 4 g
- Iron 1.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 1.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 10.0
- Vitamin C 5.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0