- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2010
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup chopped leek (white and light green parts only)
- 3/4 cups finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons mild Indian curry paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup thawed corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
MethodScrub mussels and remove any beards. Discard any that do not close when tapped.
In Dutch oven, cover and steam mussels with water over medium-high heat, stirring once, until mussels open, about 8 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid and discarding any that do not open. Let cool. Remove mussels from shells; place in bowl. Set aside.
In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook potato, leeks, onion and celery, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in curry paste; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and salt; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Whisk in milk; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and
potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add reserved mussel liquid and corn; simmer until corn is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with coriander.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 458 mg
- Protein 15 g
- Calories 312.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 688 mg
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 33 g
- Iron 27.0
- Folate 31.0
- Calcium 17.0
- Vitamin A 18.0
- Vitamin C 17.0