- Portion size 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 chicken thighs
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mild curry paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons limes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cups plain Balkan-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
MethodIn large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
Drain fat from skillet. Fry onions over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
In skillet, bring orange juice, broth, curry paste, garlic and ginger to boil, blending curry paste into liquid and scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet. Scrape into slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 4 to 6 hours. Skim off fat.
Scrape onions off chicken and back into sauce. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to platter. Cover and keep warm.
In small bowl, whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; whisk into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour over chicken.
Topping: Meanwhile, sprinkle onion with salt ; let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse in cold water; pat dry. In small bowl, toss onion with lime juice. Top each serving with yogurt and red onion mixture. Sprinkle with coriander.