Hearty is the description for this vegetarian dish that is sure to be a new buffet and potluck favourite.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2003
- 1 1/2 lb eggplant cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (2 lb/1 kg) Yukon Gold potatoes unpeeled and cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms (about 4 cups/ 1L)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper chopped
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-cured black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
In colander, sprinkle eggplant with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt ; set aside.
Meanwhile, in large deep Dutch oven, heat 3 tbsp (50 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown potatoes. Remove potatoes to plate.
Rinse eggplant; pat dry. Add half of the remaining oil to pan; brown eggplant, in 2 batches and adding remaining oil as necessary. Add to potatoes.
In same skillet over medium-high heat, saut?ushrooms, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining salt until no liquid remains, about 8 minutes. Add red and green peppers; saut?ntil beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add eggplant mixture, tomatoes, stock and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours; reheat to proceed.) Pour into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
Feta Topping: Meanwhile, in bowl, combine bread crumbs, feta cheese, olives, parsley and oregano. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Spread over eggplant mixture; bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until bubbly and golden, about 25 minutes.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 1162 mg
- Protein 9 g
- Calories 360.0
- Total fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 17 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 49 g
- Iron 28.0
- Folate 26.0
- Calcium 18.0
- Vitamin A 20.0
- Vitamin C 120.0