Potatoes were hot sellers in the spring of 1863 at 50 cents a bushel. Now, as then, this is an excellent way to use the last of the storage potatoes, especially when they\\\'re dressed with a fresh herb vinaigrette. It\\\'s best to make this salad the day of the picnic and keep it without refrigeration.
- Portion size 12 servings
- 8 potatoes (3 lb/1.5 kg) unpeeled
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cups finely chopped green onions
- 2/3 cups finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon (crushed) or 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds toasted
Scrub potatoes and boil, covered, in salted water just until tender. Drain; briefly return saucepan (uncovered) to heat to dry potatoes. Let cool slightly.
Mix together vinegar, oil, onions, parsley, salt, pepper and tarragon; set aside.
When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and chop into neat cubes. Toss lightly in bowl with oil dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning. Let stand uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour. Sprinkle almonds over top. Cover and keep cool (but do not refrigerate) for up to 3 hours. Toss gently just before serving.