This seasonal pizza combines a heavenly trio of fresh ripe tomatoes, sweet and peppery basil and piquant garlic for authentic Italian flavour.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2014
- 675 g tomatoes cut in scant 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- pinch pepper
- pinch hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 prepared pizza dough (670 to 750 g)
- 198 g fresh mozzarella cheese drained and sliced
MethodIn colander over bowl, layer tomatoes; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the salt. Let stand for 1 hour. With palms of hands, press out excess liquid; set tomatoes aside.
Meanwhile, in food processor, pur?e basil, oil, garlic, pepper, hot pepper flakes (if using) and remaining salt. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
On lightly floured work surface, shape dough into 14-inch (35 cm) round by pressing with fingertips and pulling at edge to stretch; allow dough to relax between stretches. Spread basil sauce over surface; top with tomatoes.
Bake on parchment paper–lined pizza pan in bottom third of 450 F (230 C) oven until bottom of crust is golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese; bake until melted, about 3 minutes.
Nutritional facts per each of 10 slices: about
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 430 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 10 g
- Calories 300.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 148 mg
- Cholesterol 18 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 32 g
- Iron 15.0
- Folate 29.0
- Calcium 19.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 5.0