Use small field cucumbers in this new twist on an old favourite.
- Portion size 75 servings
- 12 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (unpeeled)
- 2 cups thinly sliced white onions
- 1 cup strips sweet red pepper
- 1 cup strips sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
In large bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, pepper strips and salt ; cover with 3-inch (8 cm) layer of ice cubes and let stand for 4 hours. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain well.
In large heavy saucepan, bring to boil vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Add cucumber mixture and bring just to boil. Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.