From Scott Librock of St. Catharines, Ont., comes this fresh fish dish with a vibrant sauce with a rich fragrant saffron taste to be served while listening to the Spanish guitar and sipping sangria. Choose fillets that are 1 1/2 to 2 inches (4 to 5 cm) thick.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2007
- 6 halibut fillets skinned and boned (2 lb/1 kg total)
- 6 black cod skinned and boned (2 lb/1 kg total)
- 6 serrano ham
- 6 prosciutto
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Orange Saffron Sauce:
- 1 cup orange juice (about 3 oranges)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 hot red chili peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 hot green chili peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomato (about 10)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado
MethodOrange Saffron Sauce: In small saucepan, bring orange juice, wine, chilies, sugar, saffron and salt to boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2 cup (125 mL), about 45 minutes.
Strain through fine sieve into small bowl, pressing on solids. Stir in rind; set aside. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.)
Salsa: In bowl, combine onion, garlic and lime juice; cover and set aside for 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.) Just before serving, stir in tomatoes, oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Peel, pit and dice avocado; fold into salsa.
Cut each fish fillet in half lengthwise. Lay slices on their side. Curving each, fit into each other to form tight round.
Halve ham lengthwise; wrap securely around rounded edges of fish to completely encase. Secure with 2 small (6-inch/15 cm) soaked wooden skewers. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)
Combine paprika, salt and pepper; sprinkle over fish. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close cover and grill, turning once, until fish flakes easily when tested, about 10 minutes.
Place fish on each plate; top with salsa. Surround with sauce. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 562 mg
- Protein 34 g
- Calories 318.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Cholesterol 52 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Iron 15.0
- Folate 26.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 12.0
- Vitamin C 45.0