Hamantaschen (also called Haman's Ears in Israel, or Haman's Hat in North America ) are filled triangular cookies baked especially for Purim, a joyous Jewish festival celebrating the overthrow of the evil Haman. Children don costumes and deliver gifts of food, such as these cookies, to family and friends. The cookies are delicious, so even if you aren't celebrating Purim, make some to share.
- Portion size 50 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2008
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 eggs
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
Poppy Seed Filling:
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raisin
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
MethodDon't miss our step-by-step photographs of this Hamantaschen recipe! >>
1. Poppy Seed Filling: In clean coffee grinder, grind poppy seeds. In saucepan, bring milk and water to boil; stir in poppy seeds, sugar, raisins, honey, orange rind, cinnamon and salt. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until dry and stiff, about 18 minutes. Let cool.
2. In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and orange rind until fluffy; beat in eggs. In separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt ; stir into butter mixture in 2 additions to make smooth dough.
3. Divide dough into thirds; form each into disc. Wrap each and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
4. Between waxed paper, roll dough to generous 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 3-inch (8 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds, rerolling scraps.
Egg Wash: Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; lightly brush over edges of rounds. Place heaping 1 tsp (5 mL) filling onto centre of each.
5. Fold up 3 sides to make 3 corners; pinch corners to seal and leave pea-size opening in centre. Place, 2 inches (5 cm) apart, on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
6. Brush with egg wash. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.
Nutritional facts Per cookie: about
- Sodium 42 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 130.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 21 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 19 g
- Iron 5.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 4.0