Bursting with the flavours of summer, bruschetta is a tomato harvest staple. Use your favourite variety of heirloom tomato or a blend of varieties – it's up to you!
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2011
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (about 11 oz/300 g), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1 demi-baguettes (about 10 inches/25 cm long)
- 1 ciabatta bread (about 10 inches/25 cm long)
MethodIn bowl, stir together tomatoes, oil, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper and basil; let stand for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, halve baguette lengthwise; broil or grill cut sides until golden, about 2 minutes.
Spoon tomato juices onto baguette; mound with tomato mixture. Cut each half into 4 pieces.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 444 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 209.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Potassium 248 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 29 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 20.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 17.0