- Portion size 4 servings
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (made from half stale country loaf or baguette)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese
In bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup (50 mL) water and vinegar. Let stand for
Using mortar and pestle, pound together bread mixture, garlic, salt and pepper until in a paste. A few drops at a time, add oil, stirring constantly until oil starts to emulsify. Add remaining oil in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly until the consistency of mayonnaise. Stir in parsley.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain well; return to saucepan over low heat. Pour in sauce; stir until heated through, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if desired to thin sauce.