192 calories, 3.9 g fat
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Jodi Borneman
- 1 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups brown sugar unpacked
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons margarine melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
- pinch of cinnamon sugar
MethodPreheat oven to 325 F.
Pour boiling water over oats in a medium bowl. Stir and let stand for 20 minutes.
Combine whole wheat and all purpose flours, and brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together honey, applesauce, egg whites, butter and vanilla. Add applesauce mixture to oats and stir until smooth. Add oat mixture to flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in chopped apples.
Spray large muffin tin with non-stick spray (or use paper cups). Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin lightly with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.