Whole grilled artichokes from the jar have a lovely earthy flavour and firm texture. If unavailable, use drained, rinsed jarred marinated artichokes. Leftover pesto can be refrigerated for up to five days.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2012
- 2 zucchinis (6 oz/170 g each), sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick
- 1 loaf focaccia (about 1 lb/450 g)
- 4 artichokes thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 20 kalamata olives halved and pitted
- 1 cup Roasted Grape Tomatoes recipe
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz/115 g)
MethodFeta Pesto: In small dry skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, shaking pan often, until light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to food processor and let cool.
Add basil, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to almonds; pur?e. Pulse in feta cheese.
In greased panini press (or greased grill pan or skillet pressed with another heavy pan), grill zucchini on medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes.
Cut focaccia into 4 pieces; halve each to open. Spread 3/4 cup of the pesto over cut sides. Layer bottoms with zucchini, artichokes, olives and tomatoes. Sandwich with tops.
Cook in greased panini press on medium heat until bread is crispy and golden, about 4 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1931 mg
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 634.0
- Total fat 30 g
- Potassium 730 mg
- Cholesterol 34 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 76 g
- Iron 51.0
- Folate 80.0
- Calcium 25.0
- Vitamin A 31.0
- Vitamin C 35.0