Chock-full of a variety of seafood, fish and vegetables, this rich soup is inspired by a similar chowder served at the Masstown Market, near Truro, N.S. Enjoy a hearty bowlful with Buttermilk Biscuits.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2011
- 900 g mussels
- 2/3 cups dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 2 onions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle (240 ml) clam juice
- 2 yellow-fleshed potatoes peeled and cubed
- 340 g haddock fillets or other firm-fleshed fish fillets, cut in 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 340 g sea scallops halved horizontally
- 1 can frozen lobster meat thawed and drained
- 3 cups 10% cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
MethodScrub mussels; remove any beards. Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped.
In saucepan, bring mussels and wine to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Strain, reserving broth; discard any mussels that do not open. Let cool enough to handle. Remove and discard shells; set mussels aside.
In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; fry celery, onions, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Stir in reserved broth, water and clam juice, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan. Add potatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in haddock, scallops and lobster; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cream, mussels and parsley. Stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 2 days.)
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 405 mg
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 236.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Potassium 582 mg
- Cholesterol 78 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 14 g
- Iron 13.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 12.0
- Vitamin C 12.0