- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2011
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh cubed
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons drained rinsed capers chopped
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups green beans cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions (green parts only), thinly sliced
MethodSprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.
Add onion, celery, dillweed and remaining salt and pepper to pan; cook over medium heat until light golden, about 8 minutes.
Stir in rice; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken and capers.
Whisk together broth, mustard and enough water to make 1-3/4 cups (425 mL). Add to rice mixture and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add green beans; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn off heat; let stand on burner for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and green onions.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 697 mg
- Protein 28 g
- Calories 404.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 545 mg
- Cholesterol 94 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 19.0
- Folate 21.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 25.0