This pasta features lemon and spinach, classic springtime flavours. One pound (500 grams) of asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced, is another seasonal choice.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2005
- 4 cups penne pasta (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup extra-smooth light ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/2 bag (10 oz/284 g) fresh spinach (about 5 cups/1.25 L)
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain pasta and set aside.
In same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; fry garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved cooking liquid, ricotta cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, the lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper; bring to simmer.
Add spinach and red pepper; stir until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Return pasta to pot and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 798 mg
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 447.0
- Total fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 33 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 69 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 80.0
- Calcium 29.0
- Vitamin A 44.0
- Vitamin C 63.0