- Portion size 500 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007
- 1 mango
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp ground
- 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 sweet red pepper very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
MethodPeel mango; slice into long thin slivers. Set aside.
In saucepan, bring wine, vinegar and sugar to boil over high heat. Remove from heat. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mustard seeds and mango; stir to combine. Cover and let cool. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
With slotted spoon, transfer mango to bowl; set aside.
Strain pickling liquid into saucepan; bring to boil and boil until reduced by half, about 1/2 cup (125 mL), about 6 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
Add red onion, red pepper, coriander, lemon juice, salt, pepper and reduced pickling liquid to mango; stir to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)
Nutritional facts Per 1 tbsp 15 mL : about
- Sodium 1 mg
- Protein 0 g
- Calories 13.0
- Total fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 3 g
- Iron 1.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 7.0