Sweet snap peas and red peppers are the perfect complement to rich pork in this fluffy quiche. For convenience, we've used prepared frozen pastry; be sure to choose a deep-dish variety to hold the generous amount of filling.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2013
- 1 pie shell
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (light and dark green parts separated)
- 1 cup sugar snap pea trimmed and sliced diagonally
- half sweet red pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup Slow Cooker Shredded Pork chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup 10% cream
MethodLine pie shell with foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on bottom rack in 400 F (200 C) oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; let pie shell cool in pan on rack.
Meanwhile, in skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook light parts of green onions until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in sugar snap peas, red pepper, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in pork; scrape into pie shell. Sprinkle with dark parts of green onions, cheese and parsley.
Whisk together eggs, milk and cream; pour over filling.
Bake in 375 F (190 C) oven, covering edge with foil if browning too quickly, until knife inserted in centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 271 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 11 g
- Calories 230.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 192 mg
- Cholesterol 122 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 13.0
- Vitamin C 28.0