This chili takes the best flavours of a traditional Mexican soup of the same name and turns them into a hearty chili that sticks to your ribs and works great for leftovers. If you like it spicy, add extra jalapeños or use a spicier green salsa. Serve topped with sour cream, avocado and fresh cilantro. Stretch this chili even further by serving it over rice.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2013
- 4 serrano peppers halved and seeded
- 4 poblano chili peppers halved and seeded
- 4 Cubanelle peppers halved and seeded
- 1 jalapeño pepper halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs lean ground chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup mild green salsa
- 2 cans white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
MethodOn foil-lined baking sheet, rub serrano and jalapeño peppers with 2 tsp of the oil. Broil, skin side up, until blistered and beginning to blacken, about 5 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. Remove charred skin; coarsely chop peppers.
Meanwhile, in large pot or Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over high heat; cook chicken, breaking up with spoon, until browned and no liquid remains, about 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-high; sauté onion until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander and salt.
Stir in broth, salsa and chopped peppers, scraping up any browned bits. Add beans and corn; bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 715 mg
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 22 g
- Calories 308.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 352 mg
- Cholesterol 71 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 21 g
- Iron 15.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 17.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 8.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0