Before: The original recipe serves eight and contains 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) whipping cream and 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter. After: This lightened-up version serves four, uses buttermilk (which has 1% butterfat) and no butter.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2006
- 1 garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (approx)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons mashed fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons mashed green onions
Trim off top of garlic to expose cloves. Place on small square of foil and drizzle with oil; seal package. Roast in 375 F (190 C) oven or toaster oven until tender about 45 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, peel and quarter potatoes. In large pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and return to pot.
Squeeze roasted garlic over potatoes. Add buttermilk, salt and pepper; mash until smooth, adding more buttermilk if desired. Stir in chives.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 185 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 174.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 38 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 8.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 25.0