Sweet, tender butternut squash mixes with peppery watercress and hearty chickpeas for a filling dinner for two or an appetizer for four. Serve with pita or flatbread.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2013
- 4 cups cubed (1/2 inch/1 cm) seeded peeled butternut squashes (about half squash)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpea drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cups coarsely torn watercress leaves
On rimmed baking sheet, toss together butternut squash, 1 tbsp of the oil, cumin, coriander and pinch each of the salt and pepper. Roast in 425 F (220 C) oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool completely before continuing.)
Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together lime juice, mustard and remaining oil, salt and pepper. Stir in chickpeas and red onion. Pour into two 2-cup airtight containers. Layer with watercress; top with squash.
Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Toss before serving.
Nutritional facts per each of 4 servings: about
- Fibre 8 g
- Sodium 453 mg
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 289.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 685 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 43 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 44.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 179.0
- Vitamin C 59.0