Heat Rating: Fiery Almost any kind of fish is suitable for this fabulously tasty meal in a bowl, but we recommend halibut or catfish.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2003
- 1/4 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 4 stalks lemongrass trimmed
- 15 dried red hot peppers
- 8 shallots chopped
- 4 red finger hot peppers chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 1/4 cup packed palm sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 lb fish fillet cut in 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 1 lb large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 oz cleaned squid sliced
- 1 pks laksa noodles
- 1 pks rice stick noodles
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 English cucumber coarsely grated
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled shallots
- 1/4 cup pickled pickled onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed small mint leaf
- Lime wedges
In small saucepan, bring tamarind pulp and 2 cups (500 mL) water to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain through sieve into large saucepan, pressing with spatula to extract liquid; discard solids. Set aside.
In small skillet, toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. In clean coffee grinder, grind to fine powder; set aside. In same pan and using fork, mash shrimp paste; cook over medium heat, mashing, until crumbly, dry and very smelly. Transfer to food processor.
Slice lemongrass paper-thin; add to food processor.
Break dried hot peppers in half; shake out and discard seeds. In clean coffee grinder, grind until coarse powder. Add to food processor along with chopped shallots, finger hot peppers, garlic, ginger and 1 cup (250 mL) water; purée until fairly smooth. Add to tamarind liquid in saucepan. Stir in 8 cups (2 L) water, sugar, turmeric, salt and coriander seed mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Add fish; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for 2 minutes. Add squid; cook for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil; add noodles. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. (Or, if using rice stick noodles, cook according to package instructions.) Drain; divide among 6 warmed large soup bowls. Keep warm.
Ladle soup over noodles. Top with pineapple, cucumber, onion, pickled shallots, then mint. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over top.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 1053 mg
- Protein 45 g
- Calories 574.0
- Total fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 251 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 87 g
- Iron 52.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 16.0
- Vitamin A 12.0
- Vitamin C 37.0