The subtle mushroom flavour, the crunch of fried peanuts and the flavourful golden shallots make familiar rice special.
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2007
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup whole raw peanuts
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushroom cap
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Thai jasmine rice or other long-grain rice
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
MethodIn saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry peanuts, stirring often, until golden, about 4 minutes for raw peanuts, 2 minutes for roasted. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate.
In same saucepan, fry shallots, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden, about 12 minutes.
Add mushrooms, garlic and pepper; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains, 4 minutes.
Return peanuts to pan. Add rice, stirring to coat. Add chicken stock, soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and no liquid remains, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in coriander.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 137 mg
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 266.0
- Total fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 40 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 1.0