If you don't like or can't find oyster mushrooms, try mixed or porcini mushrooms.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1 pkg (14 g) dried oyster mushrooms
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 4 lbs beef inside round roast
- 4 lbs beef outside round oven roast
- 1 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 12 oz small white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
MethodSoak oyster mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Remove any hard stem ends from mushrooms.
In slow cooker, combine soaked mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and cloves. Add beef. Stir in broth, wine and reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, about 8 hours.
Transfer beef to cutting board; cover and keep warm for about 15 minutes before slicing across the grain.
Meanwhile, skim any fat from liquid in slow cooker. Stir in white mushrooms. In small bowl, whisk flour with 1/2 cup water; stir in mustard. Whisk into slow cooker; cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve with beef.
Nutritional facts Per each of 12 servings: about
- Sodium 254 mg
- Protein 37 g
- Calories 294.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Potassium 776 mg
- Cholesterol 75 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 27 g
- Iron 33.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 5.0