Look for smoked turkey in the deli section of the grocery store. For a crunchy topping, garnish with fried or toasted tortilla strips.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can black bean drained and rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 lb smoked turkey leg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
MethodIn slow cooker, combine onion, red pepper, garlic, jalapeño pepper, chipotle peppers, chicken broth, water, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper, black beans and kidney beans. Submerge turkey leg in mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove turkey leg; discard skin, bone and tendons. Shred turkey meat with 2 forks; return to slow cooker.
Whisk flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Add corn. Cook, covered, on high until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with Monterey Jack cheese and green onions.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Fibre 9 g
- Sodium 953 mg
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 265.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 525 mg
- Cholesterol 40 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 29 g
- Iron 22.0
- Folate 35.0
- Calcium 16.0
- Vitamin A 13.0
- Vitamin C 52.0