The cuisine of the northern Basque region of Spain is known for its use of red peppers and tomatoes, which give this stew its bright colour. Using roasted red peppers from a jar saves time and adds a slight smoky flavour to this extra-chunky stew.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2013
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut in 3/4-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 2 cups sliced leeks (white and light green parts), about 2 small leeks
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (300 ml) roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1 can stewed whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lb mini yellow-fleshed potatoes scrubbed and halved
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
MethodIn large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over high heat; brown chicken, in batches, about 15 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
Add leeks and garlic to pot; cook over medium-high heat until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Return chicken to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until leeks begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add tomato paste, salt and red peppers; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with wooden spoon; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in pot of boiling lightly salted water, cook potatoes just until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and add to stew. Simmer until stew is thickened, about 15 minutes.
Stir in peas and parsley; cook until peas are warmed through.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 569 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 218.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Potassium 708 mg
- Cholesterol 75 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 23 g
- Iron 24.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 13.0
- Vitamin C 95.0