Sweet red peppers, tomatoes, ham and a touch of paprika make a beautifully coloured and richly flavoured sauce. Serve with crusty bread or boiled or roasted potatoes.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2003
- 3 lbs chicken pieces skinned
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jar (370 ml) roasted whole sweet red peppers
- 3 oz prosciutto diced (about 2/3 cup/150 mL)
- 3 oz ham diced (about 2/3 cup/150 mL)
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme (or 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can tomatoes drained
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
In plastic bag, toss chicken with flour to coat. Discard remaining flour.
In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate; pour off fat in pan.
Meanwhile, drain and thinly slice red peppers; set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan; reduce heat to medium. Add red peppers, prosciutto, onion, garlic, thyme, paprika, cayenne and salt ; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in wine and tomatoes, breaking up with spoon. Nestle chicken in sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, occasionally spooning sauce over chicken, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 594 mg
- Protein 34 g
- Calories 286.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 104 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 13 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 27.0
- Vitamin C 138.0