- Portion size 6 servings
- 5 Asian eggplants (about 2 lbs/1 kg total)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon dry white vermouth
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet yellow pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
Trim off eggplant stems. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, cut each half lengthwise into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick strips. Cut each strip into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces; place in colander. Sprinkle with salt; let stand for 1 hour. Pat dry.
In large wok or shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry garlic and onion for 2 minutes. Add eggplant; stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine, rice vinegar and chili paste; pour into wok, cover and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with green onions and yellow pepper.