Whole wheat pasta and lima beans team up in this spring minestrone-style soup. Lima beans are protein powerhouses and the addition of whole wheat pasta makes it a complete protein with an extra boost of fibre.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2008
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and diced white turnips
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen lima beans thawed
- 1 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat pasta (about 1 cup/250 ml dried)
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
MethodIn large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook leek, garlic and hot pepper flakes, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until softened.
Add potato, turnip, carrots, thyme, bay leaves, coriander, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add vegetable broth and 6 cups (1.5 L) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes and turnips are tender.
Add lima beans, asparagus and zucchini; return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add parsley; cook for 1 minute. Discard thyme and bay leaves. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Stir in pasta, and Parmesan (if using).
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 429 mg
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 194.0
- Total fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 34 g
- Iron 17.0
- Folate 29.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 42.0
- Vitamin C 30.0