Serve this salad with crusty Italian bread for lunch or as a refreshing first course before a light supper. The tangy anchovy dressing is a must for your recipe box!
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2014
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes or other large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnut halves toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced Cubanelle pepper or sweet green pepper
- 3 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 55 g Stilton cheese (or other blue cheese), crumbled
- 2 anchovy fillets minced
- 1 clove garlic pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- pinch each salt and pepper
MethodAnchovy Dressing: Whisk together anchovies, garlic, oil, onion, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper; set aside.
Cut tops off tomatoes. Scoopout flesh and seeds; chop flesh, discarding seeds and liquid. Set tomato shells aside.
In bowl, toss together chopped tomato flesh, walnuts, celery, Cubanelle pepper and 3 tbsp of the dressing.
In separate bowl, toss together lettuce, arugula, radicchio and remaining dressing; arrange on 4 salad plates. Place 1 tomato shell in centre of each plate; spoon walnut mixture into shells. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 242 mg
- Sugars 9 g
- Protein 9 g
- Calories 297.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 17 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 15 g
- Iron 13.0
- Folate 50.0
- Calcium 12.0
- Vitamin A 30.0
- Vitamin C 75.0