Toasting the cumin and coriander seeds, the cinnamon and whole cloves — before blending them with the other spices in the mix — awakens their flavour and fragrance.
- Portion size 175 servings
- 1/3 cup cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup coriander seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon broken in chunks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon each ground ginger turmeric and mace
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In small heavy skillet, toast cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cloves over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant and slightly darkened, 2 to 3 minutes; let cool.
Transfer to spice grinder or clean coffee grinder (wipe coffee grinder with paper towel before and after use); add ginger, turmeric, mace, salt, garlic and cayenne pepper. Grind together. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 1 month.)