Creamy and comforting? Check. Rich and delicious? Check. This simple, classic side has everything you could ever ask for in a potato gratin. We guarantee you'll make it again and again – and again!
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2013
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only)halved and thinly sliced
- 4 bacon
- 1.35 kg yellow-fleshed potatoes peeled and cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream 35%
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup fresh fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
MethodIn large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside. In same skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towel–lined plate; chop bacon and set aside.
Drain fat from pan; wipe clean. Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, milk, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg; bring just to simmer over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender but still hold their shape, about 12 minutes. Discard thyme.
Using slotted spoon, transfer half of the potatoes to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with Gruy?re cheese, leek and bacon; top with remaining potatoes. Scrape cooking liquid over top.
Topping: Stir together fresh bread crumbs, Gruy?re cheese and butter; sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven until sauce is bubbly and topping is crisp and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: Don't want the bacon? Just leave it out. The gratin will still be creamy, indulgent and totally delicious.
Nutritional facts per each of 10 servings: about
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 319 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 9 g
- Calories 295.0
- Total fat 18 g
- Potassium 686 mg
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Saturated fat 10 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 20.0
- Vitamin A 17.0
- Vitamin C 30.0