Use ripe tomatoes for this soup. At this time of year, hot-house tomatoes are your best bet – the small, sweet "cocktail tomatoes" have good flavour. Adjust the number of hot peppers to your taste.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2011
- 1 head garlic
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 white onion peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp (with shells)
- 2 green hot peppers (serrano, jalapeÃ±o or other), seeded and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro stalks and leaves
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dried chipotle chili peppers split lengthwise and seeded
- 2 canned chipotle peppers split lengthwise and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (236 ml) clam juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- fresh cilantro leaves
MethodSlice garlic head in half crosswise. In roasting pan, toss together garlic halves, tomatoes, onion and 1 tbsp of the oil. Roast in 450°F (230°C) oven, turning onion and garlic halfway through, for 40 minutes.
Let cool until warm; scrape into blender. Pour 1 cup water into roasting pan; with wooden spoon, stir and scrape up brown bits. Pour into blender; purée.
Meanwhile, reserving shells, peel and devein shrimp; slice each in half lengthwise. Set aside.
In large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; sauté hot peppers, chopped cilantro, celery, garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin and pepper for 3 minutes. Stir in shrimp shells; sauté until shells are pink.
Stir in clam juice, roasted tomato mixture, 3 cups water, oregano and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain through fine sieve into clean saucepan, pressing solids to extract juices.
Bring soup to boil; add shrimp and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 572 mg
- Protein 14 g
- Calories 179.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Potassium 681 mg
- Cholesterol 87 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Iron 19.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 21.0
- Vitamin C 40.0