Adding vegetables to rice increases your daily intake by one more serving.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2004
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice such as basmati
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced broccoli floret
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook carrots, onion, garlic, cumin (if using) and pepper until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Stir in stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
Add peas, broccoli and parsley; toss with fork. Cover; let stand for 5 minutes.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 416 mg
- Protein 8 g
- Calories 278.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 10.0
- Folate 20.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 81.0
- Vitamin C 43.0