Roasted Mushroom Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 6
Roasting the mushrooms develops their rich, woodsy flavour for this soup, which is wonderful for entertaining. Serve with Sun-Dried Tomato and Herb Focaccia.
- 3 cups 3cupscremini mushrooms
- 4 cups 4cupswhite mushrooms
- 8 oz 8ozshiitake mushroomshiitake mushrooms
- 3 tbsp 3tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp 1tspdried thyme
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspeach salt and pepper
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1potatopotatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups 4cupschicken stock or Homemade Chicken Broth recipe
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdry sherry, optional
Cut cremini and white mushrooms into quarters. Remove stems from shiitakes and reserve for another use; cut caps into quarters. In small roasting pan, toss mushrooms with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each of the thyme, salt and pepper. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, potato and remaining thyme, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add stock, mushrooms and 3 cups (750 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.) Stir in parsley, and sherry (if using).
Additional information :
Tip: Reserve shiitake stems to add to stocks, sauces and gravies for added flavour and colour.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005