This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 8 to10
Minestrone, the popular rustic vegetable-and-bean soup, is piqued with the addition of spicy Italian sausages. Leftovers make fabulous lunches.
- 4 hot or mild 4hot or mildItalian sausageItalian sausages, (about 1lb/500 g total)
- 1 tsp 1tspvegetable oil
- 2 2oniononions, chopped
- 4 4cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans(19 oz/540 mL) 2cans(19 oz/540 mL)red kidney beanred kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1bay leafbay leaves
- 2 stalks 2stalkscelery, chopped
- 2 2carrotcarrots, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)tomatotomatoes, mashed
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspdried oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspnutmeg
- 2 small 2smallzucchinizucchinis, chopped
- 1/2 1/2cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup 1cupsmall short pasta, (tubetti or macaroni)
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Prick sausages all over. In Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium heat; fry sausages, turning occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Drain off fat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add beans, 6 cups (1.5 L) water and bay leaf; bring to boil, skimming off foam. Cut sausages into bite-size pieces; return to pan along with celery, carrots, tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add zucchini, cauliflower and pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes, adding more water if soup is too thick. Discard bay leaf. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold. Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add more water before reheating if desired.) Stir in parsley. Serve with cheese.
Additional information :
You can replace canned beans with dried if desired. In large saucepan, cover 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) dried red or white kidney beans with 4-1/2 cups (1.125 L) water. Bring to boil; boil gently for 1 minute. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return soaked beans to pan along with 6-1/2 cups (1.625 L) fresh water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour; drain. Add to pot along with water and bay leaf.