Smashed Pea Crostini
This recipe makes 40 servings
|Pper piece: about||-|
|total fat||3 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 40 pieces
The classic combination of mint and peas makes for a lovely summery appetizer bursting with freshness.
- 1 1baguettebaguettes, (about 24 in/60 cm)
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup 1cupfresh peafresh peas
- 1 cup 1cupricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfinely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp 3tbsppacked fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp 2tsplemon juice
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 oz 2ozParmesan cheese, cut into shavings
Cut baguette into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; arrange on baking sheet. Brush with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil. Broil, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook peas just until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and chill in ice water; drain well.
In food processor, puree together ricotta, remaining oil, grated Parmesan, mint, lemon juice, garlic (if using), salt and pepper. Pulse in peas until crushed but still chunky.
Top each crostini with some of the pea mixture. Garnish with Parmesan shavings.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2009