Spicy Sausage Corn Bread Cobbler
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time : 1-1/4 hours
- Portion size: 6 to 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||20 g|
|sat. fat||7 g|
|dietary fibre||4 g|
It's hard to believe that any dish this simple could taste so good. If you prefer a mild flavour, just substitute mild Italian sausages or kielbasa for the spicy sausages.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspolive oil
- 3 cups 3cupscubed peeled russet potatorusset potatoes, (about 1-1/2 large)
- 1 1large oniononions, cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 lb 1lbspicy Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 cups 2cupssodium-reduced beef broth
- 4 cups 4cupschopped stemmed kale Corn Bread Topping:
- 1 cup 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcornmeal
- 2 tsp 2tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1 cup 1cupbuttermilk
- 2 tbsp 2tbspbutter, melted
- 1 1eggeggs
- 2 cups 2cupsfrozen corn kernels, thawed
In Dutch oven or large ovenproof saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook potatoes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
Add onion and sausages; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, scraping up any browned bits; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kale.
Corn Bread Topping: Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together buttermilk, butter and egg; pour over flour mixture. Sprinkle with corn; stir just until combined. Spoon over sausage mixture.
Bake, uncovered, in 400?F (200?C) oven until topping is golden and no longer doughy underneath, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2013